1. After the robbery, the shop installed asophisticate alarm system as an insurance________ further losses.
2. ________ the earth to be flat, many feared that Columbus would fall off the edgeof the earth.
A) Having believed
D) Being believed(B)
3. A healthy life is frequently thought to be ________ with the open countryside andhomegrown food.
4. Sir Denis, who is 78, has made it known that much of his collection ________ tothe nation.
A) has left
B) is to leave
D) is to be left(D)
5. Before the first non-stop flight made in 1949, it ________ necessary for all planesto land for refueling.
A) would be
B) has been
C) had been
D) would have been(C)
6. In Britain today women ________ 44% of the workforce, and nearly half themothers with children are in paid work.
A) build up
B) stand for
C) make up
D) conform to(C)
7. ________ might be expected, the response to the question was very mixed.
8. If I correct someone, I will do it with as much good humor and self-restraint as if Iwere the one ________.
A) to correct
C) having corrected
D) being corrected(D)
9. Features such as height, weight, and skin color ________ from individual toindividual and from face to face.
10. I make notes in the back of my diary ________ thing to be mended or replaced.