A: Why should someone get up the nerve to callanother person’s names? Most of these people knowit’s degrading to do that.
为何有人要鼓起勇气去嘲弄别人。大多数人都知道很丢脸。
B: This has something to do with the emotionalaspect of the psyche.
这和心理有关。
A: I never seem to get up the nerve to curse othersor call their names.
对于我来说,鼓起勇气去诅咒或者嘲弄别人,好像不需要什么勇气。
B: You have more self-control than they have. Besides, your anger is not strong enough toforce you to do then. If one gets up the nerve to do anything, to kill himself for instance, hehave a stronger driver for the action than the consequence he’ll have to take.
你比他们的自制力更强。此外,你的火气还没有那么强烈驱使你那么做。如果一个人鼓起勇气去做事情,比如自杀,他采取行动的驱动力要比承担后果的驱动力强烈。
知识点讲解
Get up the nerve的意思是“鼓起勇气”。
A: I got the wind of the fact that Ken left his wife.
我听说Ken离开他妻子了。
B: Yes. Anna told me that their marriage broke up.
是的,Anna告诉我他们的婚姻破裂了。
A: Do you know why?
你知道原因吗?
B: She didn’t say much but I think there must be athird person involved.
她没有说很多,但是我想一定是有第三者插足。
A: How do you know that?
你怎么知道的?
B : I saw Ken had dinner with the same lady several times.
我看见好几次他跟同一个女人共进晚餐。
知识点讲解
Get wind of的意思是“听到某事的风声,听到秘密消息”。
A: That is why I am picking your brain. You must help me to sort things out so that I will be able to get her attention.
这就是我为何请教你的原因了,你得帮我想个办法让我能引起她的注意。
B: You must use some gimmick.
你 必须耍点小花招了。
A: But what gimmick can I use?
可是我能耍什么花招呢?
B: Let’s find another time and have a good talk. Maybe we can come up with some good ideas.
咱么另外找个时间好好聊聊吧啊,也许会拿出些好主意来。
知识点讲解
Gimmick的意思为“花招,诡计”。