A: Do you know him?
你认识他?
B: Not very well.
不太熟悉。
A: Then why did you believe him and gave him somuch money?
那你为何相信他而给他那么多钱呢?
B: I am simply flowing my nose and I think he really needs help.
我只是凭直觉,想到他真的需要帮助。
知识点讲解
Follow one’s nose的意思为“凭直觉”“凭第六感官”。
A: I think, for this thing, he has gone too far.
在这件事情上,我认为他做得有点过分了。
B: Why?
为什么呢?
A: You know, he shouted from the housetops thatSusan had done such a thing.
你知道吗,他大声宣告苏珊做的那件事情。
B: Yeah, it’s nobody but she did that.
是的,可的确是她不是别人干的。
A: But I think we should spare her feelings.
可是我觉得还是应该给她留点情面。
知识点讲解
From the housetops是副词性短语,意思是“公开地”“广泛地”。通常与declare,cry,shout,proclaim等动词连用。 短语shout/proclaim sth. from the housetops的意思就是“公开宣布某事”。
A: I don’t know why I get a stage fright when Ispeak to a large crowd of people.
我不知道为何我对着一群人说话,我就会怯场。
B: That’s the case with many people.
许多人都是如此。
A: And when you are afraid of giving a poor accountof yourself, you will feel even worse.
当你害怕给别人留下不好的印象的时候,你会感觉到更糟糕。
B: I think that is where the problem lies.
我认为那真是问题所在。
知识点讲解
stage fright是名词短语,其意思为“怯场”。它经常与动词get连用,即为: get a stage fright。